Friday, February 18, 2005

Constantine

The movie Constantine opened today, and I was glad to have seen it. I hope that people see this film and use it as a great jumping-off point for faith discussions in the same way that people who had seen The Matrix have done. The movie, while being visually impressive and captivating, is also brimming with juicy ideas begging to be discussed outside the theater. Some of the topics touched on include faith vs. works, the nature of God, the symbolism of spiritual warfare, and the ideas that the average non church-going person has regarding this issues and more. Constantine, while be based off of the DC/Vertigo comic of the same name, draws heavily from Christian/Catholic mythology, symbolism, and theology. Some Christian viewers may be dismayed over the absence of faith in Jesus by the characters fighting the demons, but it illustrates the very heart of the struggle of John Constantine who attempts to purchase his way into heaven through his service. How many people do we know who walk through life thinking "If I just do enough good, doesn't God have to take that into consideration?"

Two scriptures continue to rattle through my head since seeing this film:

John said to him, ‘Teacher, we saw someone casting out devils in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.’ But Jesus said, ‘Do not stop him; for no one who does a work of divine power in my name will be able the next moment to speak evil of me. Whoever is not against us is for us.
Mark 9:38-40


There is no greater love than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13



Again, I find Constantine to be a great jumping-off point for faith discussions. There are certainly issues of content and language to consider when deciding if this movie would be appropriate for you and whatever group you are in or forming, but the movie is, in my opinion, worth it. In general, this movie has received less-than-admirable reviews, so I have compiled a few links to some favorable reviews. Something I was told when writing a movie review in high school has stuck with me: "It's always easier to write a bad review than a good review, no matter what you thought of the movie." So keep that in mind, take all the reviews with a grain of salt, and see the film for yourself.


Minnesota Star Tribune - You may need a subscription, I was able to read it without one.

National Review Online - Contains a few tidbits that I'd consider "spoilers".

Daily Trojan USC Student Newspaper - Again, some "spoilers".

The Macon Telegraph - A short and to-the-point review.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy Says:
This is a great review! I do want to see this movie, I don't even care what people are saying about it. It just looks like a movie I would enjoy.
and that's all I care about, ME. lol. uh..not really. :p
Great, great, entry.

A Well-Dressed Revolution