Thursday, November 02, 2006

Disgusted by "Christian" Nationalism

I'm watching TBN right now. George Bush just wrapped up an interview and was followed by some correspondents extoling Bush's unblemished Christian virtue. This was followed by remarks that make me want to puke. This is not hyperbole. My stomach is upset and I feel physically ill. I am a Christian and I am not a supporter of the republican party, yet TBN unabashedly links the two together. War, prayer, nationalism, patriotism, faith; it's all thrown together in a manner that should raise red flags in rational minds. TBN blatantly ties being American to be Christian and a Republican. Why is there no shame in there action? A man on this show said that he was saddened to know that 20 million Christians didn't vote and then he said that if every Christian voted "we'd" take every election. Ok. Bullshit. "Take"? Where? Not to mention the astounding arrogance to assume that every Christian votes in lock-step. What kind of Christian nation will we have? There is a place in politics for faith in that our beliefs inform our actions, but that's it. America will not be a Christocracy, theocracy, or theocratic republic. I'm just going to wonder whose Christianity will get to be the "American" political religion...

Methodist? (United, AME, Free....?)
Catholic?
Lutheran? (Missouri Synod, ELCA?)
Pentecostal?
Evangelical?
Mainline Liberal?
Charismatic?
Quaker?
Mennonite?
Amish?
Anglican?
Baptist? (Southern, Free, American....?)
Presbyterian?
Reform?
Fundamentalist?
Emergent?
Liberal?
Protesant?
Conservative?
Eastern Orthodox?



another wretching update: Now some guy on TBN is spewing on about how Christians can better market (shitty) movies becuase our faith traces back to martyrs dying thousands of years ago....

3 comments:

Kevin I. said...

Wait explain how this guy sees movie marketing and martyrdom are connected?

But I agree with you on the Christian nationalism, I love it you'll meet someone who says "Yea if every Christian got out there and _______ (voted, gave money, ran for office etc.), we'd "take" the government.

But we'd be back in the same place as Christians are pan-political, I have people in my own group of Christian friends who don't vote like me let alone broading it to a national scale..

Tree said...

Iirc, it had to do with that no matter what the content of "our" movie was, it was part of "the greatest story ever told" defended by the blood of Christian martyrs (which proves its authenticity).

:/ Bleh.

Craig said...

I second you on that.. I couldn't have said it any better.

Btw thanks for your LibraryThing on the side there.. nice site.

A Well-Dressed Revolution