Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rope and Sound from SQUID Labs


SQUID Labs has created some amazing rope that is able to monitor its own condition, and yet I get excited about the fact that they've made music with it. The piece, "Sound and Rope" is a design that incorporates the rope into a structure that takes feedback from a plucked rope and transforms it into a signal that modulates music from a sythesizer. (I may have erred in that explaination, so check out the site yourself.) I am sure that the technological implications of this material may have a much broader range than mere ambient music, but I must admit that the sound is hauntingly beautiful. Also, I was more interested in the music than in the technology.

Ignorance? Possibly.
Bliss? Certainly.

No comments:

A Well-Dressed Revolution